WHRB Becomes Corporation; Act Breaks Precedent

WHRB became a legal corporation last week, the first organization in Harvard history, besides the Lampoon, to do so. It will now be known as the Harvard Radio Broadcasting Company, Inc. The final papers were signed Wednesday.

The network decided on this action last spring after the Federal Communications Commission ordered it off the air. Its signals, FCC said, were interfering with those of a Boston station.

WHRB could not keep its former wave length as it had no legal rights, and thus no FCC license. The Faculty Committee on Undergraduate Organizations granted the station permission to incorporate before summer vacation last year, upon request from the network.

Previously, said Martin Flug '52, public relations manager, no one at the station could be held responsible for technical or financial difficulties. The ownership of the network was not clear, and the University accepts no responsibility for College organizations.

Radio Radcliffe, according to president Betty McKinster '52, plans no similar move. The FCC license, when procured will allow the two stations to merge, however, although no such such act is yet planned.