Students Hit Rise in Rent, Want Porters

Many Feel College Should Bear Burden of Small Enrollment; Some Displeased With Maids

Student reactions to the proposed 15 percent hike in room rents and the porter plan varied from "unfortunate but necessary" to "it's a ridiculous, escapist plot," in a CRIMSON sampling taken last night.

Most of the students questioned felt that the porter plan was a good idea. "They will probably do a better job than the maids," said Norman L. Hatch '53. Michael S. Train '53 is also in favor of student porters. "The maids keep criticizing my paintings," said Train. "Perhaps I'll got better comments from enlightened students."

"My sole objection is that the porters will only make the beds once a week," said Guide Rothrauff '52. "Nuts," commented Samuel S. Huttenbauer '53. "I don't want the guy next door to come snooping around my dirty laundry."

Concerning the rent rise, Willard Van Epps '53, felt he was paying enough as it is. Larry Ratner '54 also thinks the rent is far too high now. "Harvard can afford to take whatever loss the present situation may cause," he added.

Not everyone was opposed to the boost. "We don't like it, of course," said Elliott L. Markoff '54, "but the College shouldn't be allowed to operate on a deficit if it can be prevented."

Daniel Glick '54 is against raising rents in anticipation of a small enrollment next year. "Make the plans, but wait until it becomes a reality," he advised.

"I suspect it's merely a plot to force everybody into the army and settle the draft question," stated Stanley Green '53.