Stillman Says Flu Epidemic Hits New High

Doctor Says Number of Cases Should Drop by Next Week; One Infirmary Wing Vacant

The current influenza outbreak hit a new peak last night when Stillman Infirmary reported that it was "extremely busy" with 80 percent of all beds filled.

Attending physician Dr. Leo J. Cass said that cases will probably fall off sharply by next week and added that there are indications that they are already on the decline.

At least one student Edward J. Sack '51--was turned away with a 101 degrees fever because, "We don't have enough room." One wing of the Infirmary stayed closed last night in case of an emergency.

Dr. Cass urged anyone with such symptoms as general weakness, nausea, or hacing coughs to stop at the Hygiene Building for a check-up and rest.

Most of the 15 who entered the Infirmary yesterday complained of these symptoms, although some had temperatures as high as 103.

Epidemic Unusually Severe

The flu epidemic appears annually about this time but the flare-up this time is "far more severe than most," according to Cass.

The staff at Stillman has also felt the effect of influenza the last week, and many members have taken a few days off. Dr. Andrew W. Contratto, physician at the Department of Hygiene, was himself sick in bed yesterday.

Besides flu, mumps and chickenpox have also been appearing at Radcliffe.