Nazis Win New Popularity, Shirer Advises Law Forum

More than 60 percent of the Western German police officers now being trained are former Nazis, William L. Shirer told over 600 people at the Law School Forum in Rindge Tech last night. Furthermore, he continued, over 60 percent of the West Germans, in a recent poll taken there, expressed their preference to Nazism over democracy.

Shirer, just returned from a trip through Germany, was one of the four speakers who talked on "The Struggle for Europe."

Representative Chester E. Merrow (R., N.H.) declared that "if we get through 1951 without an attack on Western Europe, we will be fortunate." He added that a bill calling for some $50,000,000,000 to arm the West is now being considered by the House and "will probably be passed."

Arm Spain

Author William H. Chamberlin advised an immediate coalition with Yugoslavia and Spain, "even though they are totalitarian states. "He urged we get arms "to the people whose interests place them on our side."

Dr. Ales Bebler, Yugoslavia's permanent delegate to the United Nations, explained his country's position in the world.

"Our government and Marshall Tito have the complete confidence of the people that we will not embroil them in another war. We tried government by Western means in 1941, and were helpless when the Nazis marched into the country. This must not happen again."

The speeches were followed by a question period. This was the second of the spring series of Law Forums.