Favored Crimson Wrestles at N.Y. With Weak Lions

The varsity wrestlers, in their final test before Saturday's meet with Yale, will be favored to defeat a weak Columbia team in New York at 4 p.m. this afternoon.

Coach Dick Waite's Lions have won only two of their nine engagements and the Crimson is well fortified at the weights in which Columbia is strong. Bob Hartman, at 137, is unbeaten and will meet Icko Iben. Gene Manfrini, a totally blind boy who wrestles at 157 and has been defeated only once this season, comes up against Al Sawyer.

Heavyweight and captain Bill Malone is Columbia's third best wrestler and the only senior on the team. Mike Guaizijan, at 123, is the only other regular, since the other men shift back and forth between the varsity and jayvees.

For Bob Pickett's men, Charlie Keith returns to action at 177, which means that Neil Hastie can drop back down to his accustomed position at 167.

The freshmen will not face the Lion cubs. Their captain, Chick Chandler, worked out yesterday after being laid up with a cold and will be ready for Yale on Saturday.