HUERA Workers at AFL Meeting Charge Mulvihill With Inefficiency

Over 60 University employees bitterly berated their present union with shouts and complaints at an organizational meeting of the American Federation of Labor in the Hotel Commander last night.

During the question period that followed brief speeches by the A.F.L.'s Central Labor Union secretary, maids, janitors, and maintenance men accused their union and its president, Daniel G. Mulvihill, of falling to hold monthly general meetings, disregarding seniority, and showing favoritism.

Fear Student Porter Plan

One of the fears expressed by the maids was that they were going to be sold out to the student porter plan now under consideration by the administration. The University told them, they said, that the plan had achieved "huge success at M.I.T."

A member of the Tech union said the idea actually is a "colossal flop."

Edward T. Sullivan, secretary-treasurer of the A.F.L. Central Labor Union, said that the University "leads the country" as far as wages and working conditions go, but is in danger of falling behind now. "Other colleges look to you," he added, "and will not raise employees salaries or better their conditions unless Harvard has done likewise." This, he claimed, is holding back progress all over the country.

Best Paid in Country

Several employees said that when they ask for increases, the administration claims they are already the highest paid in the country. "If we can get in," said Sullivan, "we can push M.I.T., one of the colleges we have, to equal Harvard, then point out that Harvard is no longer the highest in the country."

He said that since the University is the richest in the nation, its employees should be the highest paid.

Sullivan concluded, "We can't split a million dollars between you, but we can show you how to get what you want."

After the meeting, several employees indicated that they were going to "push" the A.F.L. union. About 300 people must show interest in it before the State Labor Relations Board can order a vote.