Sports Group Fails to Name Athletic Head

Overseers' Visiting Committee On Athletics Meets Secretly In Boston, Makes No Choice

The Overseers' Visiting Committee on Athletics met at the Somerset Club in Boston last night but reports from the meeting indicate that it reached no conclusions about naming a new Director of Athletics to succeed William J. Bingham '16.

Nor is the matter of Bingham's successor likely to be discussed at this morning's monthly meeting of the Board of Overseers, George Whitney '07, vice-chairman of the Overseers' Committee, said last night. Whitney, generally acknowledged to be the key alumnus in the Harvard athletic picture, presided at last night's conference in place of Henry W. Clark '23, chairman of the committee. Clark's home is in San Francisco.

Whitney, who is also chairman of the Board of Overseers, when asked directly if the athletic director issue would be discussed this morning, said "Not as far as I know."

Selecting Committee

A seven man ad hoc committee appointed by President Conant to screen candidates for Bingham's post and to select a successor started final screening last Monday and will continue to work on it this week.

The schedule of this committee, which is headed by Provost Buck, indicates that final selection of the new Athletic Director will take place at the April meeting of the Board of Overseers.

The Overseers' Committee which met last night recently had its membership sliced from 23 to 17, with the emphasis on younger men.