Yale Fencers Nip Crimson Varsity, Ruin '54 Record

The varsity fencers lost a thrilling, see saw meet to Yale, 14 to 13, at the Indoor Athletic Building Friday. The Crimson won last year's meet with the Elis by the same score.

Strength in the foils match proved to be the difference as the visitors took it by the score of 5 to 4. Yale had much of its talent in the foils and the varsity put up a good show in losing.

In the apes, the Crimson completely overwhelmed the Yalies as they won, 8 to 1. Captain Win Overholser and George McNair each won three bouts.

Yale had a powerful sabre squad which defeated the Crimson, 8 to 1. The varsity sabremen put up a good fight, but were submerged by the superior Elis.

The freshmen also lost to a slightly superior Yale team, 17 to 10, thus spoiling an unbeaten season record. None of the Yardling swordsmen were able to win three bouts. This spoiled Captain Warren Stone's personal record of losing no bouts during the season.

The varsity ends a very mediocre season with a record of three wins and three losses. Although Overholser and Forrest Carter are graduating, prospects for next year look hopeful.