3-Day Swimming Meet Opens Tonight at I.A.B.

Yale Favored to Win 1500 Meter Freestyle With Marshall, McLane, Moore, Estoclet

By Andrew E. Norman

Tough, tireless freestylers will open the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming Championships at 7:30 p.m. tonight. The three-day meet will take over the Indoor Athletic Building pool until late Saturday night.

As in most of the freestyle events, Yale is expected to dominate the 1500 meter race tonight almost to the exclusion of entries from the other 35 members of the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference. For the second year in a row, there will be no Harvard swimmer in the only event tonight; Ted Norris won the event in 1949.

Bob Kiphuth will probably enter the four-man limit in the special 6 p.m. scratch meeting. The Yale coach is expected to nominate A.A.U. champion John Marshall, Olympic champion Jim McLane, Wayne Moore, and Emile Estoclet.

The winner will be determined by times, since no eliminations are held for the 1500-meter (15-16the of a mile.)

Final Entries Tonight

Coaches from the entering colleges will hold the major scratch meeting at 9 p.m. Thirty-three colleges made 214 preliminary entries. The coaches tonight must limit themselves to four men per event and three events per man.

Yale leads with 23 preliminary entries, 12 of them from last year's magnificent freshman team, and 13 of them freestylers. Navy lists 17, Harvard and M.I.T. 15, and Dartmouth and Cornell 11. Rutgers submitted 10 names; Colgate nine, Amherst, Army, Bowdoin, Trinity, and Virginia eight; Brown, Columbia, Princeton, Seton Hall, Syracuse, and Williams six.

Also entered are five Springfield swimmers, five from Delaware, three from Boston University and Buffalo, two from North Carolina State, and one each from Brooklyn, Connecticut, Duke, Lehigh, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tufts, Union, and Wesleyan.

Stoinhart, Dillingham Unbeaten

Leading Harvard entries are Captain Bob Berke in the 220 and 440; Dave Hedberg in the 100 and 50; John Steinbart in the 100 and 200-yard backstroke; and Pete Dillingham in the one-meter and three-meter diving.

Dillingham and Steinhart are unbeaten this year. Berke and Hedberg have lost only to Yale.

Low-board diving and 50-yard freestyle preliminaries will occupy tomorrow morning, starting at 9:30 a.m. The afternoon competition will begin at 2:30 p.m. with trials in the 200-yard backstroke and backstroke, the 220-yard freestyle, and the 400-yard freestyle relay. Finals in all these events will begin at 8:15 p.m. tomorrow night.

High Dive Saturday

Three-meter diving will take up Saturday morning, with the finals that night. Trials will take place in the afternoon in the 100-yard backstroke and breast stroke, 100 and 440-yard freestyle, the 150-yard individual medley and 300-yard medley relay. The finals in these events begin at 8:15 p.m.

Coach Hal Ulen will probably enter Steinhart, Ken Emerson, and Dave Hedberg in the medley relay. This trio broke the University record for the event against Dartmouth two weeks ago, and showed that it could do even better.

If Hedberg swims in this event as well as in the two sprints, Ulen will make up a 400-yard relay team of Berke, Don McNamara, Bill Pratt, and either 1951 Captain Bob Stroud or Ron Huebsch.

Other Crimson swimmers listed among the preliminary entries are Dick Fouquet in the 440-yard freestyle; Frank Manheim in the diving; Lowell Sachnoff in the freestyle sprints; and Rene Vielman and Fred Weymar in the breaststroke. EISL STANDINGS   Won  Lost  Pet. Yale  7  0  1.000 Harvard  6  1  .857 Dartmouth  5  2  .714 Army  4  3  .571 Navy  3  4  .429 Princeton  2  5  .286 Columbia  1  6  .143 Pennsylvania  0  7  .000