Kirkland Takes Wrestling Crown; Grays Wins Yardling Tournament

Kirkland captured the House intramural wrestling tournament last night in the I.A.B., while Grays won the Yardling crown.

In the unlimited class, Whitey Black of Eliot pinned Bob Wiley of Lowell in one of the evening's best matches. Tony Jacobson of Dunster annexed the 177-pound title, taking the fall from Eliot's Jim Fleming when the latter collapsed from exhaustion.

The 167-pound class saw an excellent match with Dick Farrington of Leverett decisioning Kirkland's John Burrington, 5 to 0. The Deacons' Roger Wach decisioned Bric Bierrie of Leverett in the 157-pound class. Marty Greenberger won the 147-pound crown for the Bellboys, decisioning Eliot's Larry Leonard, 5 to 0, in a slow match.

Winthrop's Tom Carter decisioned the Commuters' Frank Dewar in a close bout, 5 to 1, to take the 137-pound title. The Puritans' Bob Harding pinned Kirkland's Nat Berkowitz in the 136-pound bracket. Ernie Johnston of Kirkland took the fastest fall of the night from Roger Milkman of Lowell in 1:02 min. to capture the 123-pound crown.

In the freshman championships, Dud Autio pinned Gene Mann; Laurie Wilde decisioned Ted Johnson; Sid Tyler pinned Jack Ray; Rock Carroll pinned D. Hawkins; Noel Scullin pinned Al Byington; Jack Rosenthal pinned Tim Nichols; and Bill McCourt decisioned Bernie O'Brien.