Kirkland Emphasizes Intramural Athletic Teams, House Solidarity

Deneons Publish Own Yearbook To Record Group Activities, Have Russian Language Table

Present size of House: about 348.

Vacancies for freshmen: about 130.

Rooms for freshmen: mostly threemen suites, a few four-man suites, very few two-man suites.

Price range of places for freshman: $110 to $195 per term.

Kirkland House's inmates are like their tower, "comfortably sane." Freshmen who want to shine in College activities will probably find K-House frustrating.

Emphasis is on participation, not individual brilliance. The Deacons have few outside connections and usually concentrate on House affairs.

Sports-minded House

The success of all its activities is based on this House solidarity. Kirkland House's perpetual possession of the Straus trophy is not due to the vast prowess of an athletic elite, but sheer numbers.

The only reason why the House's yearbook will come out this year is that the appeal for extra subscriptions was a big success. But many of those who do not participate in these activities don't even get to know their entry-mates.

Some people think of Kirkland House men as "neurotically sports-minded," and there is a little truth to that, but activities exist for everyone. Those who take extra interest in College courses are provided with weekly concentrators' dinners, where tutors like John K. Fairbank '29, professor of History, and Clyde Kluckhohn, professor of Anthropology, give talks on current problems.

Kirkland House also provides a few music recitals, but most of the music comes from banjos and guitars belonging to the large group of students from the West.

Even potential politicos profit from the House spirit. The elections bring out most of the House, which makes them worth the campaigning. In the last election, nine candidates plastered their photographs on the bulletin boards. Another result of House activity is the Deacon's Testament, the only House yearbook in the College.

Russian Table

Staff members cover almost every field, and there is at least one resident tutor for the five major departments. But despite frequent formal contact, students are too interested in House activities and tutors in their erudite problems so that there is little informal contact between them.

For the rather impressive international set, tutors have set up weekly Russian, French, and German tables. And for the tea-drinkers Housemaster Mason Hammond '25 provides a tea every Thursday open to all who want to come. Because these weekly teas lack the dull formality which usually goes with such affairs, they are always popular.

In the way of facilities, Kirkland offers a darkroom, a large common room, five pianos, and a television set. These are financed wholly by contributions to the House committee fund. Students who don't pay up are not allowed to participate in any activities.

There is also a quaint old library, Hicks House, with cozy rooms for those frustrated by the broad expanses of Widener and Lamont.

Perhaps the most unique feature that Kirkland House offers is its choice between bathtubs and showers. One part of the House dates back some 50 years, when bath tubs were stylish, but the smaller annex is more up-to-date.

The food is from the central kitchen, which makes the high participation rate in House athletics even more extraordinary. Like the food and like the buildings themselves, Kirkland House is solid but not conspicuous.