The Snakes and British Left but Green Boston Remembers Today

Put a flag on that shillelagh. Mix your greenery with some red, white and bluery. For faith, lad, 'tis a double celebration we're for having' today. The snakes left Ireland, General Gage left Boston, and the whole town's celebrating.

But don't look in Cantabrigian streets to find the sons of the Shamrock and Revolution. For it's in Boston that the people are gathering. Parades, parties, dances, and some good Irish Ale are being offered in the City for all Shamrock wearers.

Like all good Irishmen, Boston's will start the day with a long walk, a parade in South Boston. Wear green and join the procession. Stores along the route are decked out to receive the marchers with shamrocks and "a bit o' spirits to take the dryness away."

South Boston is host to the annual affair because a monument will be dedicated there in honor of the day the British left Boston and the Irish took over.

To work up a real thirst, you can run in the five-mile marathon road race starting at 1:30. Then off to the Irish Club Center which opens its arms "even to Harvard men."

True followers of the green have another reason for rejoicing today. This year, for the first time since the potatoes gave out, the population in Ireland is rising instead of falling. Three million men of Ireland are witness to the fact.

Although everybody knows there aren't many Irish policemen in New York City, by some strange miracle, attributed currently to Leprachauns, the white line in running down the middle of Fifth Avenue has turned green.

And that, lad, is my advice to you. Turn green.