Council Meets Tonight On Watson Rules Letter

Dean Gives 8 Reasons to Reject Proposals to Ease Limitations On Undergrad Organizations.

The Students Council will held an open meeting tonight in Dunster House to discuss Dean Watson's recent letter explaining his rejection of the Council's proposals for the rules on undergraduates organizations.

Last month, Dean Watson issued an eight page booklet of rules which ignored the Council's suggestions for rule revisions. Council's president Richard M. Sandler '52 then asked Watson for a letter explaining his rejections of the Council's proposals.

Last week, Dean Watson submitted a letter. His explanation for rejecting the Council's suggestions for easing restrictions on the groups follows:

1. Restrictions on woman guests cannot be changed except by a faculty vote.

2. Discredit may be brought on the University if financially unstable groups are allowed to use the name of the University.

3. Organizations must submit the names of all members to prevent those on probation from holding office.

4. Groups cannot appear on commercially sponsored radio and televisions programs because of a Corporations ruling.

5. If groups do not obtain permission to use University property for gatherings, they may jeopardize the University's tax-exempt status.

6. Gatherings in the Yard are forbidden because they may interfere with classes and libraries.

7. Unless for educational purposes, admission charges by groups may endanger the college's tax exempt status.

8. Groups must obtain the permission of the University so that they will not use University prestige without its present.