Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line


At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions


Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists


‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam


‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Police Arraign 5 Students Today for Square Violence


Five students--three undergraduates and two Dartmouth students--will be arraigned in Cambridge Third District Court this morning on charges arising from a fracas which took place early Sunday morning in the Harvard Square Waldorf Cafeteria. The students face a total of 17 charges, including drunkenness, disturbing the peace on Sunday, assaulting an officer in uniform, and the attempting to rescue a prisoner.

Peter R. Fisher '54, George M. Osgoodby '52, Even W. Keyes '54, and James M. Corman and Charles C. Hoban, Dartmouth seniors, the arrested students, were freed on bail yesterday afternoon.

According to Fisher, he and Keyes entered the Waldorf with several friends shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday morning. They sat at one end of a long table and Osgoodly and the two Dartmouth students were at the other end. The students were quite boisterous for some time, and the wife of one of the diners went outside to call the police.

Two patrolmen, Leo Davenport and Thomas Burke arrived and tried to pick up Corman whom they assumed to be leading the disturbance. A short melee ensued in which chairs, trays, and fists flew.

Reinforcements were sent for, and one officer approached Fisher and said, "Let's go." Fisher requested time to finish his coffee, but the policeman refused. Keyes was also requested to "come along."

The wagon was dark, according to Fisher, and in the short ride to the station there was considerable violence inside the car. Just how much violence, Fisher was unable to determine accurately, although he claims several passengers were considerably more bruised when they emerged at the station.

After the arrest had been made and the five men were placed in jail, four of the policemen went to the Cambridge City Hospital for treatment. One, Davenport, was treated for a damaged hand and lacerations of the head. Fear that he had suffered a fractured skull was allayed when he was released from the hospital yesterday afternoon.

Corman, after spending an hour in jail, was taken to the hospital and treated for a laceration of the right eye which took three stitches to close, superficial lacerations to the left eye, one lost tooth, another broken, and side, back, and head injuries.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.