Liz Taylor Duped; 'Poon Lifts Bust

By Stephen O. Saxe

Movie star Elizabeth Taylor appeared to be out of danger last night from CRIMSON charges of receiving stolen property. The property involved was a bronze bust of Fabian Fall '10, former CRIMSON president, stolen from the CRIMSON building and presented to the actress by the Lampoon.

Editors of the Lampoon apparently stole the bronze statue from the CRIMSON early this week. This morning they presented it to Miss Taylor at Logan Airport, at the same time naming her the actress who has shown the "greatest improvement" as a result of receiving the "Roscoe." The new award was called "the Fabian Fall Award."

No sooner had Miss Taylor taken off for Los Angeles, via New York and Chicago, than the CRIMSON told MGM in Boston that the bust was its property. MGM claimed that Miss Taylor had taken the buzt with her, and the paper began calling to legal representatives in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

Soon after 5 p.m. (1 p.m. P.C.T.) the CRIMSON learned from the director of MGM publicity in Los Angeles that Miss Taylor had left the bust with the Boston MGM office.

Crimson Business Manager William S. Holbrook III, announced last night that the organization would bill MGM for all expenses incurred in tracking down the bust. The statue had been placed in a niche in the Crimson "Sanctum" as a memorial for Fall, who was President of the daily in 1909.

Holbrook said that although he believed the film corporation would pay the CRIMSON bill without trouble, the CRIMSON would bring court action against MGM if it didn't. No action against the Lampoon was planned, since the humor magazine's actions were regarded as a joke, Holbrook stated. But, he claimed, MGM derived publicity benefits from not notifying the CRIMSON that the stolen property was in its possession in Boston.

Miss Taylor was in Boston for a personal appearance at a Red Cross rally. When she left Logan airport yesterday morning after receiving the best of Fall, she told the Lampoon. "This is very kind of you young men. I'll always treasure this award and remember this affair," she said.