Kefauver Group Cannot Do Efficient Job, Affirms Expert

Criminologist Says Continuous, Local Investigating Groups Needed to Stop Crime Spread

Continuous action by local investigating committees will serve the cause of crime prevention much more efficiently than such large-scale operations as the Kefauver Commission, Sheldon Glueck, Professor of Criminology, said yesterday.

Nevertheless, Glueck contended, the pretend investigations have been well-conducted and, to a great extent, non-political in character. "The only circus quality of the probe has been added by the nature of the educating medium of television," he added.

Danger can result from the Kefauver disclosures, Glueck believes, by destroying the idealized vision many young people have of their leaders. Youngsters pattern their morality on that of their leaders, and any exposure of corruption in high places results in a lowering of the general moral tone, claims Glueck.

Political Tools

Although congressional investigations serve to make the public aware of the extent of organized crime in this country and to surpress such crime briefly, in time they may become mere tools of political parties and gradually die out.

To prevent this, Glueck believes, each community should establish a commission of specially trained young lawyers and social workers to keep constant check on crime in their city. These commissions would work in cooperation with local enforcement officials such as the police and district attorney, and would be supported by voluntary contributions as part of the community's regular welfare equipment.

The constant pressure exerted by the presence of such bodies would keep law-breaking at a minimum by making criminals aware that their operations were always under surveillance. The committees would also publicize good behavior on the part of citizens and officials in order to raise public morals.

"The Kefauver Commission is doing a grand job of ventilation," Dr. Glueck added, "but what is needed in every urban center today is a non-partisan office of Counsel for the people."