Radcliffe Breaks Ground for New Building Tuesday

Construction of Bolmes Hall, the new Radcliffe dormitory, will begin with ground-breaking ceremonies early Tuesday morning. President Wilbur K. Jordan, Alumnae Association and Student Government officers, and College trustees will officiate.

Georgian in design, as are the other seven dormitories, Holmes Hall will stand at right angles to Moors Hall and face Garden Street. Moors Hall will provide kitchen and heating facilities for the new dormitory.

The new dormitory, as the center of Radcliffe musical activity, will include a music library and listening room, five piano and two instrumental practice rooms, and a living room designed for informal concerts and dances. Also, WRRB will move to new studies there.

Will House 102

McCutcheon Company of Boston has the general contract for building the dormitory which is to house 102 girls. This added number of resident students will raise the percentage of girls living in dormitories to 80 percent.

Most of the funds for Holmes Hall will come from the bequest of the late Georgine Holmes Thomas who requested the building be named after her father, Daniel Henry Holmes, a leading merchant of Cincinnati and New York. The College plans to raise $250,000, the remainder of the estimated $750,000 cost, while the dormitory is under construction.

President Jordan hopes Holmes Hall will be finished for the opening of school in the fall of 1952.