Council Views Proposals For Rule Changes

Committee Opposes Rulings Requiring Membership Lists And Financial Investigations

A Student Council committee will submit to the Council tonight their arguments and suggestions concerning Associate Dean Watson's Regulations for Undergraduate Organizations.

The committee was set up last week by the Council to formulate all arguments on the rules. Most of the committee's arguments follow the same pattern that the Council advised before Watson issued his eight-page rule book. These rulings completely ignored the Council's suggestions for easing restrictions on undergraduate organizations.

Opposes Membership Lists

The Committee opposed Watson's ruling requirement that organizations make available membership lists. Committee members felt that the security of the members of "radical" organizations out-weigh the Dean's arguments "in favor of administrative efficiency."

In opposing the rule forbidding the use of University buildings by undergraduate groups except with official permission of the Dean's Office, the Committee pointed that some non-educational groups such as the COOP use the buildings. They suggested adding the clause "except for purposes clearly educational."

The Dean's Office should not have discretionary control as to whether groups can charge admission fees, the Committee stated, unless the charge endangers the University's tax-exempt status.

Publications Regulations Condemned

The Committee opposed the ruling which requires students desiring to print a publication to submit a complete description of the proposed publication with details for its financing.

It stated that "policy and content should have no relevance as a criterion for permission of student publications."

Most of the suggestions concerning the other four rulings involved changes in wording. The Committee, however, opposed two regulations-that members of organizations be students in the College and new organizations submit evidence has to their ability to meet financil obligations.