Porter Sargent, Alumnus, Former Teacher, Outspoken Critic, Dies

Criticized Conant, Buck, Faculty

Porter Sargent '96, onetime Harvard professor, and most of the time critic on education and on Harvard in particular, died yesterday in Cambridge.

Sargent was editor and publisher of Sargent's Handbooks since 1914, an annual in which appeared his critical judgments on education. In these books, Sargent frequently violently criticized both the University and President Conant. In one of his book called, "The Continuing Battle," Sargent assorted that Harvard was used by President Conant as the "spearhead" to bring the country into the second World War.

On General Education, Sargent had this to say: "The present administration at Harvard plans to remodel the curriculum that there may be less freedom."

Writing on what he called, "The University Climate," Sargent said: "The Harvard faculty is so regimented and tamed that one of the bolder professors declares of his fellow faculty members, 'No one dares blow his nose without asking Dean Buck.' Buck, ambitious, aggressive, stands close to those who have the power. Conant, once bold and free, is now scared and cowed."

Elsewhere, Sargent states: "In the name of promoting a "Free Society," Harvard is making changed which undoubtedly carry out the intents of the dominant man on the Corporation. Under the circumstances, going to Harvard will mean only the bare essential of going to classes."

Sargent taught at Harvard early in his career, later working under a grant. Author of many books and articles, with education as the main subject, he was best known for his listings of private schools, summer camps, and the attractions of New England.