This Stinks

The Mail

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Last week, when we first read in your periodical the classified advertisement of Stercoricolous Feceophagator, we did that which any individual of ordinary tact does when confronted with a shocking violation of the most elementary precepts of good taste: we ignored it. However, the reiteration of this ruttish broadside in today's CRIMSON suggests that the avowed feceophage has seized upon the advantage of wholesale rates to repeat his disgusting puff. Your threefold publication of this pornographic notice allows us no longer to remain silent.

We are forced to the unfortunate dilemma of assuming either that the editors of the CRIMSON do not comprehend the substance of the infamy, a conclusion unfortunately too, too possible in an age in which the baccalaureate on longer implies a through knowledge of the classics, or that they brazenly acquiesce in the utilization of their daily for the perpeutation of this obscenity.

If the former--O may the gods forbid that the onrushing Dark Ages have so engulfed even this university--if the former, then we can only turn for comfort to the shining lessons of the great stoic, "O tempora, O mores!" If the latter--remembering that this outrage occurs day after day and at reduced rates--we must join the great Orator in his righteous outburst of indignation and exclaim, "Quousque tandem, Catilina, abutere patientia nostra!"

We beseech you: no longer affront the eyes of respectable citizens and readers by wantonly flouting the laws of this Commonwealth and the most elementary tenets of morality revered by even those unfortunate heathens as yet shrouded in a night of ignorance unenlightened by our self-sacrificing missionaries and civil servants.

And as to the self-confessedly coprovorous purveyor of movables, who, unsatisfied by his revolting practices, feels the pathological urge to publicize his vices, it is a sad commentary on our epoch that a man who has had the benefit of some contact with the classic tongues is untouched by the great moral teachings therein contained.

Trusting, Sirs, in your respectful consideration of a letter from two, who do not often take pen in hand to address the publics press. Miguel C. Junger, 3G   Norman N. Holland, Jr. Sp.