Annex Station Ends Tie With WHRB Group

Radio Radcliffe has voted unanimously to sever all connections with the Harvard Radio Network, Inc., president Elizabeth McKinster '52, announced last night.

The split, she said, was caused by repeated difficulties with WHRB, and the Radcliffe station's desire to prove that it can operate independently. A statement released jointly by Miss McKinster and Burton G. Malkiel '53, Station Manager, WHRB, said:

"Both WHRB and Radio Radcliffe feel that the recent expansion of both stations has made joint business and programming operations unwiedly. It seems best for both organizations that all ties be broken for the present, until both stations feel that they can resume relations on a fully equal basis."

The two stations have been exchanging an average of five hours of programming every weekday, including Music 1, which Radcliffe has broadcast for the past two years.

The 'Cliffe station is confident that the split will not hurt it, and it even expects production to improve, Miss McKinster said. New schedules have already been prepared for the next week, and promises of technical help have come from outside sources.

More than a year ago the Harvard Network proposed a complete merger, but the Annex station felt that this would mean the subordination of WRRB to the larger network.