Hockey Team Upsets Bulldogs, 4.0

By Hiller B. Zobel

The varsity hockey team confounded its critics and gratified its supporters Saturday by blanking a highly favored Yale squad, 4 to 0, before over 3,000 fans at the Arena. The loss virtually eliminated the Blue from an N.C.A.A. tournament bid; the win enabled the Crimson, for the second straight year, to keep Yale from the Pentagonal League crown.

From the start, Coach Cooney Weiland's aggressive skaters held the strong Yale attack helpless. Although the Elis had a one man advantage after only four minutes of play, the alertness of the Crimson defense and the good back-checking of the wings stopped the Yale forwards completely.

The Crimson, on the other hand, took quick advantage of the first Yale penalty: defenseman John White advanced the disk to the Eli blue line, and laced a 70-foot drive into the Bulldog net at 10:40, while Frank Kittredge of Yale was in the penalty box for high sticking.

For the rest of the period, and all of the next, the Crimson carried the play to the Elis, even though it could not score. Although Yale had a few good chances, goalie Nate Corning, who registered his first shutout, was able to handle them all.

The Harvard defensemen, particularly White and Dusty Burke, who returned to the defense because of a pre game injury to Jim Wykoff, were all over, beating Yale to the puck every time.

At the beginning of the third period, the Crimson took full command. The passing, which is usually good anyway, looked better than at any time this year, and almost every shot headed straight for the goal mouth.

Yale was unable to do anything with the puck even to its own zone. Bob Dillasio scored the second goal at 5:50 on a neat combination play engineered by Barry Sedgwick and Nat Harris which was typical of the Crimson's supremacy.

Hatch, Harris Tally

Hatch added another point at 14:06, after White's feint pulled Blue goalie Paul Cruikshank out of the way. By this time, the only question was whether or not Corning would keep his shutout. The Elis had a last chance to escape a blanking just after Harris scored the final goal at 17:19. Joe Kittredige received a two-minute penalty for high sticking, which left the Crimson a man short again.

But the home loan again outrushed the visitors, and Corning was able to hold out until Kittredge returned.

Wykoff, who was hurt when he collided with the goal before the game, skated a little during the first period, but sat out the rest of the contest. He will be ready, however, for tomorrow's game with Princeton.