No Future Guild Members Should Study Here'---Sears

University authorities should ask any student who insists on joining the Harvard Lawyer's Guild to go elsewhere, Samuel P. Sears '17 stated in a reply letter to Dean Griswold yesterday. Griswold had defended the administration's views on giving student organizations complete freedom in answer to Sears' attacks on the Guild Sunday.

Sears said that any students who did leave for this reason would be "no loss to Harvard or the legal profession." He claims that such action is not a matter of suppression, as implied by Griswold, but the idea that men from the University "are for America, for American decency, and for American justice."

He continued that the University should be a sounding board, in this critical time, for anything that is not "100 percent American in its ideals and principals."

Griswold had said that the local activities of the group did "not warrant" their suppression, and the National Lawyer's Guild, of which the Law School group is a branch, disclaimed any association with Communist organizations or fronts. Griswold pointed out that no court had judged the group "red."

In reply, Sears said that the findings of the House Un-American Activities Committee, which called the National Guild the "foremost bulwark of the Communist party in this country," were "made in good faith and based on reliable information."

He stated that he had respect for Griswold's "office and contributions to the Law School," but not for his stand on this issue