Lack of Advisers Threatens Young Progressives' Status

Faculty members have refused to serve as advisers to the Young Progressives, and consequently the organization's official standing with the Dean's Office is at present in doubt. An incomplete membership list which Y.P. president Lowell P. Beveridege '52 turned in to the Dean's Office further has complicated the relations of the local left wing group and Associate Dean Watson.

As a result of the disagreements, Watson ordered the Y.P.'s to cancel a talk tonight by Oliver Allen, chairman of the Massachusetts Progressive Party, but later reversed his decision.

Adviser Dispute

Beveridge said yesterday that he had told Watson that the had made a "conscientious effort" to obtain the two required faculty advisers, but couldn't find any willing to serve. According to Beveridge, Watson said he was satisfied an effort had been made, and would consult with the faculty to see if some advisers could be appointed.

But, Beveridge said, Watson indicated that the H.Y.P. might eventually have to disband over the issue.

Missing Member

After the Young Progressives had turned in the required membership list, Watson checked and found that more than the listed ten people were working with the organization. Beveridge admitted this, and explained that these people had not joined officially because they did not want their names listed with the Dean's Office.

Watson then told Beveridge that the unlisted members must officially join the Young Progressives or stop working with them.

These two disagreements as to the group's official status led Watson last night to cancel Allen's talk. Later, in a conversation with Beveridge, he changed his mind and gave his permission to the lecture.