College Plans Normal Class of '55

Draft fears have not caused the College to expand the size of next fall's freshman class, Richard M. Gummere, chairman of Committee on Admissions, announced yesterday.

Even though selective service is expected to cut down the number of upperclassmen in the College, Harvard only wants the usual 1,100 in the Class of 1955, Gummere added.

He said that because of the possible 18-year-old draft the admissions committee did not know yet how many additional acceptances would go out to insure that 1,100 freshmen register here in September.

Even in normal times the College accepts extra men in the spring to allow for shrinkage over the summer as men decide to go to other colleges or cannot come to college for personal reasons.

The Class of '52 was about 200 larger than normal when it entered in the fall of 1948 because the draft that year had not taken any students and prosperous times meant that fewer men had to withdraw for financial reasons.

Most Harvard applicants will hear from the College shortly after May 8, and those accepted will have until May 21 to notify Harvard whether they are coming in September.