Bravery on the Home Front

President Truman has reaffirmed the doctrine of civilian control of the military and of foreign policy. In a move that was not calculated for political advantage but cannot fail to clean up the political atmosphere, he has rid the Government and the United Nations of an agent whose political pronouncements have been a continuous source of embarrassment and danger. General MacArthur's strong views on Communism, on the "Asiatic mind," on Chiang Kai-Shek, and on practically everything else, were enough, as the President noted, to make the General "unable to give his whole support" to the United Nations campaign in Korea.

But there are also dangers inherent in the General's removal. He may now return to the United States as a martyr, to be exhibited daily by the Hearst press and the rabid opponents of the Administration's Asian policy. His removal from the post of Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers will give the Russians an opportunity to barge into the Japanese problem.

But the counterbalancing gains--the restoration of European confidence in the United States, the re-establishment of United Nations prestige, the clarification of American policy, the improved chance of achieving peace in Korea--are overwhelming. President Truman has performed an act of true statesmanship, and deserves the thanks of the nation and the world.