College Drops Gen. Ed. Substitute for English A

75% of '55 to Take Freshman composition; Miller to Give 'History of Religions in U.S.'

The College's first attempt to replace English A has been given up. General Education A, created by University Professor I. A. Richards and introduced this year as a possible substitute for the traditional freshman composition course, will not be offered next fall.

According to David E. Owen, head of the General Education Committee, the decision to abandon the experimental course was made by Richards, who could not be reached for comment last night. Its purpose was to integrate freshman composition work into the over-all G.E. program.

English A is again listed as a requirement for 75 percent of the incoming freshman class, according to the preliminary course catalogue for 1951-52 which came out this week. Owen indicated last night, however, that further study will be made to find a satisfactory substitute.

Religion Course

Among new courses to be offered next year is History 167, The History of Religion in the United States, which will be taught by Perry G. E. Miller, professor of American Literature. The course will survey major outlines of religious and denominational developments in America.

Isiah Berlin of the University of Oxford, who taught here two years ago, will return next fall to give Philosophy 275, a Seminar in Social and Political Ideas, 1759-1850.

John K. Fairbank '29, professor of History, will take a sabbatical next year to study in Japan, with most of his courses being taken over by Edwin O. Reischauer, professor of Far Eastern Languages.

Teaching government 1b in place of Arthur N. Holcombe '06, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, will be Carl J. Freidrich, professor of Government, and Charles R. Cherington '35, associate professor of Government.

Another change in G.E. combines Social Sciences 3 and 4 into one course. It will be taught by the same men, John E. Sawyer, assistant professor of General Education, and Francis X, Sutton, assistant professor of Sociology.