16 Editors Leave Brown Daily, Rap 'Pro-Frat' Board

Sixteen staff members of the Brown Daily Herald resigned their positions this week, when the senior board elected a fraternity man to the post of Managing Editor.

The new elections, held on Tuesday night by the seven man senior board, selected Richard L. Sherman, former assistant sports editor, to lead the paper and set up a storm of protest by other staff members.

Present Managing Editor James Keat, one of the block which has resigned, explained his reasons for quitting: the senior board "elected the present assistant sports editor, passing over at least one man whose qualifications are infinitely superior and by any just criterion should have been chosen....

"In our opinion he was chosen because the majority of men on the Senior Board are fraternity men and they felt they wanted a fraternity man as editor...he has no experience in the news and editorial departments."

Keat is not a fraternity man.

Meanwhile, Archie Falardeau protested the charges of bias. "We insist that his being a fraternity man was not the consideration which led the board to its decision," he said.