ROTC Deferments Come Through For Mid-Year Freshman Entrants

An undisclosed number of deferments for freshmen who entered Military Science 1 at mid-term have reached R.O.T.C. headquarters, Colonel Charles P. Summerall, Jr., professor of Military Science and Tactics, revealed yesterday. Some freshmen who began taking Military Science last fall and who did not receive deferments may also get them now.

Summerall said that certain high-ranking students will be notified that they have been deferred about May 1, but they will not sign their agreements until the first week of June. He can not tell how many he will defer until he learns more complete grades.

The 109 freshmen who entered at mid-year will have to attend summer school to make up the first half of the course before taking MS2. They may take the first term's work at another college, if the course offered is identical to the one given at Harvard. However, the Registrar's Office announced it will not give academic credit to this work if taken at other schools.

Several scholarship students in the course said yesterday that they cannot afford to come to summer school; their final decision to continue in the R.O.T.C. is due by May 1. Summerall is notifying students who will be deferred before this date, in order that they can decide better whether to go on.