Cliffe Completes Period of Major Change in Policy

planning stage, Radcliffe officials said yesterday.

The graduate Center has been the dream of Mrs. Bernice B. Cronkhite, dean of the Graduate School, since 1936. Plans for the Center, to be built between Ash and Brattle Streets, were released 15 years ago, but no statement on the amount--if any--of funds raised so far is available.

Completion of Holmes Hall, and the still unnamed hall, will finish another dormitory quadrangle, facing Linnean Street and attached to Moors hall. This total of nine brick dormitories would permit all resident students; and all commuters who want to, to live at Radcliffe, Miss Mary C. Small, dean of students said.

Despite the seemingly thorough academic union, Radcliffe offers four programs on its own, besides the Management Training Program, in which some courses are taught by Business School faculty. Independent ventures include summer courses in publishing procedure, in Secretarial Training, a program of Adult Education Seminars, inaugurated by Jordan this year, and a five-year with Massachusetts General Hospital and leading to an A.B. and an R.N.

More women on the Harvard Faculty are possible in the next 25 years, Miss Carol E. Marshall, assistant dean of Instruction, believes. This year, four women are entitled to attend meetings of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, including Miss Helen Maude Cam, Zemurray Stone-Radcliffe Professor of History.

Some departments have a policy of having a few women on their faculties, but one, the English Department, does not permit women to teach men. On the other hand, the Department of Romance languages, has a lady teacher with no girls in her classes.