Linguistics

GUIDE TO FIELDS OF CONCENTRATION

In his youth, Department Chairman Joshua Whatmough sought to learn a new language every summer to feed his interest in comparative philology. Few present-day concentrators try to duplicate this feat, but it would not be a bad idea, considering the knowledge of language needed for concentration in this field.

If the name is less formidable than formerly (it was changed this year from Comparative Philology to Linguistics) the work is not. But the field has certain definite advantages.

The number of concentrators is always small, permitting constant and intimate contact with such leaders in the field as Whatmouth. More important, Linguistics is the only field in which one can learn languages without studying the accompanying literatures.

For this reason, Linguistics has been considered by many as good preparation for diplomatic work. By and large, however it is for perspective professional scholars--invariably enthusiasts in a field that can be fascinating--as it throws sidelights on such studies as an anthropology and cultural history.