Physical Sciences

GUIDE TO FIELDS OF CONCENTRATION

ROTC men like the smattering of various sciences they get by concentrating in Physical Sciences. Not only do these courses provide good background for future specialization, but distribution difficulties are eased, for two of the advanced Air, Military, and Naval Science courses may be counted.

Several Mathematics and Chemistry majors shift to this field every year, for this is considered a pretty easy concentration for a man with not too much ability at Mathematics--once he passes the obstacles of Math 1 and 2a. The latter is considered especially stiff.

Concentrators take neither generals nor write thesis, but honors higher than cum laude are not normally recommended--in fact none have been so far. To qualify for cum laude, a man must have at least a B average.

An eight-man faculty committee, composed of representatives of the various departments whose courses are offered, essentially takes the place of tutorial. Students are assigned an adviser whom they meet at least four times a year or as often as they want, if they can find him. The advisers are the backbone of the department and are on the whole considered adequate.

Comments range from Edwin C. Kemble who was considered very helpful, accessible, and an excellent adviser to researcher Robert B. Woodward who is not only poor, but practically impossible to get hold of. Chairman C. Harold Berry, Gordon McKay Professor of Engineering Science, runs a close second to Kemble, Lynn H. Loomis is "always congenial," and Captain Douglas V. Gladding is termed adequate.