Semitic Languages

GUIDE TO FIELDS OF CONCENTRATION

Members of the department of Semitic Languages and History frankly attempt to discourage prospective concentrators. They point out that the decline of interest in Bible studies has made jobs in the field practically negligible.

The primary purpose of this department is to maintain courses for non-concentrators.

Concentrators will find formidable language requirements of Latin, Greek, French, German, and two Semitic languages. If, however, your interests are purely scholarly, this could be your field. It is unequalled for individual instruction and tutorial.

Those interested in State Department jobs should consider Semitic language courses, since men trained for the Near East are now very much in demand. But for this purpose, such fields as History. Government, and Economics are advisable as majors.

The Semitic Department also offers history courses by top scholars. Department Chairman Robert H. Pfeiffer's Religion of Israel, and courses taught by Harry A. Wolfson, Littauer Professor of Hebrew Literature, are highly recommended by students.