Varsity, Yardling Trackmen Win Decisively Over Rams

By Michael J. Halberstam

Allen Wilson, 213-pound senior from Gallup, New Mexico, tossed the discus 164 even Saturday at the Stadium, thereby not only breaking the Harvard record, but providing the only surprise as the Crimson track team swamped Rhode Island University, 90 1/2 to 49 1/2. The freshmen also won.

The old discus mark, 162 feet, 1 7/8 inches, was set in the 1948 Yale meet by Sam Felton.

Rhode Island runners basked in the reflected glory of stocky Alton Wiley who won both the 100 and 220-yard dashes. Wiley, who finished far ahead in each race, took the latter in 22.6 seconds, a very good time for the Stadium's curved track. Dick Weiskouf ran second to Wiley both times.

The Crimson took all three places in both the shot put and the 440. Jerry Kanter, Bob Ray, and Wilson finished in that order in the put; Ed Grutzner led Tom McGrath and John Packard in the quarter-mile. Ronnie Berman got an early lead and held it to win the 880 in 1:57.9.

In the field events the Crimson held away--Pete Curran won the hammer, Dick Barwise the high jump, Hal Geick the broad jump, and Charlie Keith the javelin. Sophomore Bob Mello took second in both the broad jump and the pole valut. Bill Linne of R. I. won the latter. Ram runners Larry McLay and Ray Lister took the mile and two mile runs.

As the Yardlings trounced the Ram freshman 116 2/3 to 23 1/3, Pete Dow won both dashes, Gil Murray the discus and shot put (bettering the varsity margin in the latter), and John Walecka took the hammer, finishing second in both the discus and shot put. Ed Maguire was victorious in the mile in the good freshman time of 4:39.4.