Committee Opens Competition for Class Day Posts

Five faculty members were named yesterday to a faculty-student selection board, as the Class Day Committee officially opened the competition for speaking parts at Class Day exercises.

Serving with the Class Day Committee on the selection board will be Dean Bender; Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory; Frederick C. Packard '20, associate professor of public Speaking; John L. Sweeney curator of the Farnsworth and Poetry Rooms; and G. Wallace Woodworth '24, professor of Music.

The committee set Monday, May 7 as the deadline for submission of entries. Positions open to seniors are Class Poet, Odist, Class Orator, Ivy Orator, and Chorister. Applicants should submit their entries to the secretary at Phillips Brooks House; choristers should apply to Professor Woodworth.

Class Day will take place Tuesday afternoon, June 19, in Sever Quadrangle. This will be the second year that the Class Day Committee has departed from the traditional elective system of naming Class Day speakers. The old process was discarded last year, because large class sizes had made the elective system unwieldy and inefficient.

Further information about this year's competition can be obtained from Arthur H. Rohn '51, who has been named to direct the 1951 exercises.