Hot Air and Harvard Men

Collegiate debating in this country is pretty dull. Debate groups mostly use but one standardized question during the year, follow formalized sot of debating rules, and subsequently have little audience appeal. At least, the Harvard Debate Council has decided to do something about it.

The council is experimenting wit the "Oxford style" tonight in its debate with the Boston chapter of the World Socialist Party on whether capitalism is detrimental to society (8 p.m in the Leverett Junior Common Room). The Oxford system allows the audience to cross-question the speakers and to decide by vote which team is the winner. Obviously the method is feasible only when the topic is controversial enough to arouse audience interest.

The advantages are abvious, as shown by the enthusiastic response to college debating where the system is used in England. Speakers obtain experience is swaying audiences rather than in fulfilling a formal set of rules for a single judge in an empty room. The audience receives a stimulating evening. And if the oratory is good enough, the debate group can successfully charge admission.

There are limitations to all-out adoption of this debate style for the Harvard Council, though, Many opponents refuse to debate any but the standard question so that they are able to determine their regional standing merely by a glance at comparative won-lost records. Further, it is difficult to find over eighty opponents and topics(the Debate Council's present yearly schedule) that would draw an audience.

But if the turnout tonight encourages it, the Council could introduce a bi-weekly audience participation schedule. It would be a long-needed shot in the arm.