'54 Okays Its Advisers, Council Survey Reveals

Report Recommends Individual Tutorial, Longer Hours, More Stress, on Teaching

Freshmen don't think their advisers are so bad after all, Richard l. Bushman '53, Chairman of a Student Council Committee on advising told the CRIMSON last night. The Council is compiling a report on advising which will discuss freshman advising and tutorial. The section on tutorial agrees with the main tenets of the Bender Report.

There are however, several deviations. The Council report will recommend individual rather than group tutorials for honors seniors, more tutorial hours per week than the Bender Report advocates, and more emphasis on a tutor's teaching ability than on his diligence in research in his field.

Both freshmen and sophomores were polled about the opinions on freshman advising. Approximately 16 percent of the Yardlings filled out Council questionnaires, but Bushman does not know what percentage of the sophomores class responded. The largest number of both '53 and '54 were partially satisfied with their advisers, the next group was very well satisfied. Only a handful were dissatisfied.

Results Withheld

Accessibility, friendliness, and a general knowledge of College courses, in that order were voted the most desirable traits of a freshman adviser by the sophomores polled. Similar freshman results were withheld from the CRIMSON by council member Bushman, who had promised them exclusively to another publication. The sophomores also approved, 3 to 1, the idea of undergraduate advisers for freshmen.