Buildings and Grounds

Haphazard planning has left its mark on University property. Ancient buildings, incongruous architectural styles, and random positioning make clear the need for a University planning group to develop an effective long range building program.

The University has no such committee; all its plans and programs come from the office of Administrative Vice-President Reynolds. Because Vice-President Reynolds bears the responsibility for all the administrative decisions of the University, he does not have sufficient time to spend on long-range building plans as well. That is why Cambridge city planners feel that Harvard often takes action only when it cannot dodge a problem any longer. Fro instance, after years of parking troubles Harvard opened the Business School parking lot--too late, too little, and too far.

M.I.T.--on the other hand--does not have a Building Committee which years ahead determines needs, plans buildings, and estimates costs. The committee consists of six M.I.T. men, including the Director of Business Administration and the Dean of Architecture. This group invites different specialists to each meeting, depending on the project under consideration.

It is logical that Harvard should have a similar building committee. Many of the foremost architects and regional planners in the world are right here in the Graduate School of Design and they have quietly drawn up plans for redeveloping much of the nearby property. But their work seems to have escaped the University's notice. If a building committee of a half-dozen active men were established, the Graduate School of Design would provide a continual source of new ideas and encouragement. Moreover the committee could work closely with the Cambridge Planning Board to improve several alum areas near Harvard and could push projects like moving the subway yards to North Cambridge. Certainly the extent of Harvard's property and of its construction program makes such a committee essential.