Selection of New Athletic Director Delayed a Month

The long awaited selection of a new director of athletics for Harvard will be deferred for at least one more month, it was learned last night.

Although the Overseers will meet this morning, and President Conant will leave for Europe tomorrow, the seven man adhor committee, appointed to screen and select the new director, will make no recommendation at this morning's meeting.

Whether the group will have its suggestion ready for the next meeting, to be held on May 7, is still a matter of speculation.

Early End

Members of the group hope so. Last night they indicated that they were anxious to complete-their task, already stretched long beyond their earlier expectations.

Individuals would not elaborate on the cause of the delay in the final choice. Several candidates, from New England and other regions, have been discussed, but there appears to be a difference of opinion on the selection criteria. This split, some believe, may be that between faculty representatives and alumni boosters.

May 7 is the next time the choice can be made unless a special, unexpected meeting of the Overseers is called.