Fulbright Grants Competition for '52 Opens Today

Competition for student Fulbright scholarships for 1952-53 will start in the spring term for the first time this year, John U. Monro '34, chairman of the Harvard Committee, announced this week. Information concerning the government grants for foreign study can be obtained at the Financial aid Center, 54 Dunster Street, Beginning today.

The deadline for filing applications next fall has been moved up to October 15, two weeks earlier than this year. Monro, believes that the May starting date, although it may cause difficulties for fall term applicants, will be an improvement since it gives his group more time to handle applications.

The committee is anxious to pass out as many applications and conduct as many interviews as possible before the end of the current academic year. Reference letters will be processed during the summer.

Fulbright Awards provide a year of study abroad for holders of college degrees who are American citizens and possess a knowledge of the country in which they wish to carry on study or research. The grants cover transportation, tuition, books and maintenance for one academic year.

Last year 600 grants were available for study in 18 foreign countries. A total of 192 students from the University applied. The list of countries participating in 1952-53 and the number of awards to be made will be released soon.