Blood Exhibition Opens in Holden

Bleeding Perfected

Provost Buck will open an exhibition of collecting and processing blood at 4 p.m. today in Holden Chapel. The exhibit will run from 4 to 6 p.m. and from 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the remainder of the month.

The new exhibition includes equipment used form 1900 to the present, including a completely mechanical system of collecting and processing human blood, perfected last month by University Professor Edwin J. Cohn.

New Method

In the new method, the blood collecting bottle is eliminated. The blood flows directly over an exchange resin which removes calcium from the blood and thus prevents clotting. Then it passes through a heat exchange until (to reduce temperature) and into a small continuous centrifuge in which the plasma is separated from the red cells. After further separation, the solutions are frozen and sterilized by cathode rays.

Processing in the compact, portable machine is carried out in a closed system from the vein of the donor to the final plastic containers for the blood components. It was engineered for use in hospital donor centers or under emergency conditions.