Professor Condemns Use of Extra Widener Exit as 'Waste of $1,500'

A College professor yesterday attacked as "a waste of $1,500 a year" the keeping open of the "unused" basement exit of Widener every evening.

The new controversy arose just after an armistice had been negotiated in the catalogue merger debate. Asking that his name not be used, the professor argued that it would be far better to spend the money on more books.

Until recently, the exit just inside Massachusetts Avenue had closed at 5:30 p.m., but Robert H. Haynes, assistant librarian of the College, last night defended the change on two grounds.

He said that an extra exit was needed at night for protection in case of fire and also favored the action as an added convenience to those using the stacks.

The critic of the system said that the new exit was Hardy used at all during the evening. He added that he would prefer to see "paint peeling off the wall in a few places" rather than the library collection falling behind.

it is important to keep the library in good physical condition, the professor united, but he regretted strongly that Widener's purchase of books in recent years was less than "order great libraries."

Haynes said that it was a matter of judgment how a library spent its money and it was understandable that not everyone was satisfied by Widener's purchasing policies.