'Cliffe Delays Discussion of Joint Groups

Watson Credits Postponement To Radcliffe Dean's Office, U.N. Council President Says

The University is postponing consideration of the question of joint Harvard-Radcliffe extra-curricular organizations until it receives further decisions from Radcliffe, Hugh J. Schwartzberg '52 reported yesterday.

Schwartzberg said that Dean Watson made this statement during a conference with him and William J. McIntire '53, secretary of the United Nations Council. Schwartzberg is the group's president.

The Radcliffe Dean's Office on April 26 requested a delay for consideration of the problem, Watson reported. Radcliffe asked for the extension so that the 'Cliffe Student Council could investigate.

The Student Council formed an investigating committee of two April 30. The committee's report, however, is not due until September, at the Cedar Hill Conference. The latter, scheduled for September 18-20, is a meeting of 'Cliffe student leaders and Administration.

Margaret E. Fechheimer '52, a member of the committee, has already spoken to Deans Sherman and Small. She will give a preliminary report of her findings tonight at a meeting of the Student Council executive board.

The Harvard Faculty Committee on Student Activities rejected a petition for a joint Harvard-Radcliffe U.N. Council April 17. It agreed to reconsider the problem at its first meeting in the fall.

According to Schwartzberg, Watson St., endorses the establishment of a category of joint Harvard-Radcliffe organizations. The University would not permit girls to enter Harvard clubs, but would consider the formation of the new joint category