Vacation Arrives, Students Depart; Faculty Prepares for Serious Work

Reischauer Will Finish 15-Year Translation Job; Stichter to Work Over 'Wisconsin Bank'

As summer vacation arrives, most students emigrate from Cambridge in an attempt to escape their studies for three and a half months. Most professors, however, welcome the arrival of June as an opportunity to become students once again, catching up on studies long abandoned.

Edwin O. Reischauer, professor of Far Eastern Language, hopes to be able to complete a project he began 15 years ago. "If there are no more wars to interrupt," he will finish a translation of the diaries of a ninth century Chinese traveler he began as preparation for his first thesis.

Even among the vacationing scholars there is a consciousness of the academic Lamont University Professor Sumner H. Slichter will extend his studies in Economics by working on the Wisconsin banking system. He intends "to get back into shape carrying rocks" to the lakeshore of his Wisconsin summer home.

Some members of the faculty will travel to Point Barrow, Alaska, on an expedition sponsored by the Anthropology Department. Bulldozers at the Point Barrow army base have unearthed an ancient Eskimo burial ground. Wilbert K. Carter, teaching fellow in Anthropology, will lead the expedition to take up where the army left off.

Neanderthal Men

Perhaps even more ancient than the Eskimo remains are several skeletons of the prehistoric Neanderthal man which are on loan to the University, Earnest A. Hooton, professor of Anthropology, will remain at the University to restore these--the only such remains in the United States--for exhibition at Peabody Museum next fall.

Hooton also plans a study of Harvard graduates from 1870 to 1912. He will attempt to establish a relationship between the types of body-build of these men, their occupations on graduation, and the causes for their deaths.

Hooton, in addition, will conduct an anthropological survey of Ireland, and continue a separate study of what he calls "50,000 discharged soldiers" from World War II.

"Theory and practice" will be the byword for George B. Kistiakowsky, Lawrence Professor of Chemistry. After is return from an annual trip to Los Alsmos, Kistiakowsky will do physical-chemical research into the nature of explosions and enzymes.

A star gazer with a serious purpose, Harlow Shapley, director of the University Observatory, will remain behind his University telescope. Shapley will conduct a study of the inner Meta galaxy and the Magellanic star clouds.

Several professors plan trips across the Atlantic. Hassler Whitney, professor of Mathematics, will go on a mountain climbing tour in the Swiss Alps. An accomplished climber, Whitney is a member of the American Alpine Club.

Another traveler to Europe is John O. Brew, Peabody Professor of American Archaeology. Brew will go to Paris as an American delegate to a meeting of the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization.

Salzburg Sojourn

Others who will go abroad to Europe are professors who will teach at the Salzburg Seminar in Austria. Among these is George C. Homans '32, associate professor of Sociology.

Among those who are travelling in the other direction is C. I. Lewis '06, Pierce Professor of Philosophy, who is going to California write, "the professor's usual task."

Charles R. Cherington '35, associate professor of Government, who was recently appointed dean of the Graduate School of Public Administration for the year that Edward S. Mason, George F. Baker Professor of Economics, is on sabbatical leave, will teach at the Harvard Summer School.

Mason will meanwhile be in charge of a large research team that has been preparing a lengthy series of books on capitalistic economics.