Yale Tennis Squad Nips Varsity, 8-7; '54 Victors

Doubles Decide Close Match

By Jere Broh-kahn

Darkness halted the varsity-tennis match with Yale at Soldiers Field yesterday, but only after the still undefeated Elis had won their closest match of the year, 8 to 7. The Crimson, however, badly missed its regular number one singles and doubles player, Charlie Ufford, who is in Stillman Infamy with a 103-degree temperature. The Yardling tennis squad also remained undefeated by trouncing the Yale freshmen, 8 to 1.

Today the varsity plays at M.I.T. at 2:15 p.m. while the Engineer freshmen meet the Yardlings at 2:30 p.m. on the Soldiers Field courts.

With Ufford out, the entire Crimson singles lineup had to move up one position each, which proved costly. Dave Watts at three was the only one of the first six men to win for the varsity.

Three other singles wins by Bill Goodman at seven, Mitch Reese at eight, and Bill Harrinton at ten gave the Crimson a chance to take their traditional rivals by winning four of the five doubles matches.

But though the varsity won three doubles matches, the second and fourth pairs lost to give Yale the close victory. Art French and Watts at two won their first set in the deciding match of the day, but then lost the second. Both sets went to 6-4 scores. In the third set, the Crimson players lost three points which would have won the match, before finally bowling, 16-14.

All three winning Crimson teams took their matches in straight sets. Bob Bramhall and Goodman at one, Paul Tobias and Chase Peterson at three, and Bayard Robb and Berke Johnson were the winning combinations. The other doubles pair, Hugh Nawn and Reese at four, actually completed the last match of the day, but their losing score was not so close as the French's and Watts'.

The summary: Norris (Y) defeated Bramhall (H) 7-5, 6-3; Schwartz (Y) defeated French (H) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4; Watts (H) defeated Fischl (Y) 6-3, 6-4; Stokes (Y) defeated Robb (H) 6-2, 6-0; Wood (Y) defeated Tobias (H) 6-4, 6-4; Bright (Y) defeated Murphy (H) 6-1, 16-18, 6-3; Goodman (H) defeated Bliss (Y) 6-2, 6-4; Reese (H) defeated Hooe (Y) 3-6, 3-6, 6-3; Blodgett (Y) defeated Schimberg (H) 7-5, 6-1; Harrington (H) defeated Dewey (Y) 6-2, 7-5.

Bramhall and Goodman (H) defeated Norris and Stokes (Y) 6-3, 6-2; Fischl and Bliss (Y) defeated French and Watts (H) 4-6, 6-4, 16-14; Tobias and Peterson (H) defeated Wood and Hooe (Yale) 6-0, 6-4; Schwarz and Blodgett (Y) defeated Reese and Nawn (H) 6-4, 6-4; Robb and Johnson (H) defeated Dewey and Ewing (Y) 6-4, 7-5.

The summary: Mann (H) defeated Neave, 6-4, 6-4; Rauh (H) defeated Maginnes, 6-4, 6-1; Spencer (H) defeated Workman, 6-1, 6-4; Bosssart (H) defeated Hadley, 6-0, 6-3; Carollo (H) defeated Rich, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3; Stone (H) defeated Todd, 7-5, 6-4.

Rauh and Mann (H) defeated Neave and Maginnes, 6-0, 6-2; Bossort and Spencer (H) defeated Workman and Hadley, 6-3, 6-1; Todd and Tucker (Y) defeated Goodman and Warde, 8-6, 6-4