A New Wrinkle in GE

Ever since 1945, the University Committee on General Education has been trying to integrate freshman English with other fields of learning. Thus far, both English A and General Education A have failed to attain this goal. The worth of English A depended on the enthusiasm of the individual instructor who usually assigned material which was not related to other freshman courses. Students wrote on anything in order to satisfy the weekly theme requirement. As a result, most failed to carry over the drilling in writing technique to their term papers and exams. General Education A tried to remedy the ills of English A by requiring shorter themes and by discussing the themes with the whole class. Many found this diffused method of teaching composition confusing and over their heads.

By making composition the core of the required General Education courses, the Committee hopes to emphasize that good ideas demand lucid expression in all academic pursuits. The plan provides for a half-course, required for all freshmen, which will extend-over two terms. Since the students in the class '55 will have to take three G.E. courses for their degree, they will be expected to enter at least one in their freshman year in order to get a background of ideas for the composition course. Beyond this outline, many important details will decide the fate of the Committee's proposal.

Since assigned material in G.E. courses will serve as "outside reading" in the composition course, instructors will have to be familiar with at least one G.E. subject. Some G.E. section men may be qualified to teach composition. But whatever the case, the development of writing skills must not be sacrificed for a discussion of ideas. Sectioning should be delayed until all freshmen have decided which G.E. course they wish to enter. Then they can apply for a section which will base its reading and discussions on subjects in Humanities 2 or Social Sciences 1, etc. This coordination of courses will give students in each section a common interest, a sense of direction lacking in English A.

Like all section courses, this one will stand or fall with the instructor. Aside from one scheduled meeting every week, individual conferences must play a very important part in ironing out writing difficulties. Instructors of this course should be especially willing to give personal attention because, as the experiment of General Education A has shown, the principals of composition cannot be learned solely from reading rules and looking at a projector screen.

This plan also makes it possible to combine writing in two courses. Thesis topics assigned in G.E. courses could also satisfy the weekly theme requirement in English. Furthermore, old bluebooks should be carefully corrected with the student so that he might learn how to write a concise, well-organized exam. Although exams are the most important yardstick of learning, there has been no course which instructed the uninitiate how to write them.

Instead of exempting a few select, superior freshmen from the course, as in English A, all should take the first half year--if only to improve their style. These who prove to be especially proficient by mid-years should be allowed to drop out. These who "misuse English" after their freshman year would have to visit the Bureau of Study Council.

If the Committee on General Education can draw up a composition course which includes these important details, it will have finally put together a basic course in writing with courses in thinking. The effectiveness of this proposal will ultimately depend on the enthusiasm and ability of instructors. Careful selection of the instructors and good organization of the program will insure its success.