Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

According to one report, Iran may ask for an American financial mission. This is good news for the United States which has had to watch oil-rich, strategically vital Iran drift toward the Russian camp.

Iranians could use such a non-political mission. For years they have been oppressed by the landlordmerchant governing class; taxes are regressive, administrators corrupt, and famines frequent. Honest and progressive elements are powerless against the numerous, well-heeled special interests and all reforms eventually end up stillborn.

The only improvements in Iran have come about because of five American forays into the Iranian economy--the first in 1911 and the last in 1946. Men on four of these missions served as top administrators in Iranian public finance; for their success they were pressured out of office by selfish politicians and Russian intrigues.

Since the last mission, which was actually just an advisory board, Western powers have played little attention to the problem of strengthening Iran. Although the United States has loudly proclaimed its goal of helping underdeveloped countries become strong and independent, the sacredness of state sovereignty has paralyzed government thinking. The reasoning goes thus: Iran needs money; but its government is so corrupt that there can be no American loan without American control over Iranian finances; that is impossible because Iran is a sovereign state.

The fact is that Iran does not measure up to full sovereignty and in such a country rigid application of the sovereign state theory falls flat. Americans have controlled Iranian finances before and, if invited, should insist on such powers again.

Moreover, a fat lean must accompany any mission because Iran will need some $650 million to do an adequate job. Much of this would come from concession royalties, internal loans, and more efficient tax collecting; but for the rest, Iran would depend on the United States.

The present prime minister, an honest if overemotional man, would probably support with reform and political backing any finance experts he retained. The mission, if it materializes, might not survive the shifting, choking sands of Iranian politics and Russian intrigue, but it is at least worth a try.