Chapel Opens In Eliot Store Room Today

Students Conduct Candlelight Services Approved by Finley; Basement Entry Open All Day

An inter-denominational Christian chapel open 24 hours a day, will hold its first candle-light services at 11 p.m. tonight in the basement of Eliot House's L-entry.

About 15 students from several Houses organized the chapel to serve College men who want to pray any hour of the day. The sponsors feel that students can not fund such a place anywhere else in the University.

Housemaster John H. Finley, Jr. '25 has given his support to the group in charge of the chapel. He said last night, "The House was built to offer its facilities to any body of students which wanted to use them."

Services Nightly

The services will be conducted by students once every night though the chapel will remain open all day for prayer. The chapel itself is small, accommodating only about 30 men.

The adornments for the chapel have already been paid for by its original planners. They have decorated the room with candles, which will furnish the only light used during the devotional services.

An unused basement storeroom was the site chosen for the religious services. Eliot House was selected because it had vacant space where the planned squash courts were not completed. The other Houses all have squash or other activities using their basements.