MacArthur to Miss Exercises in June

General Cannot Attend Commencement Because of 'Many Previous Engagements'

General Douglas MacArthur will not appear here for Commencement as expected, his New York headquarters announced yesterday. An aide in his Waldorf Astoria suite said, "His plans are such that he won't be able to make it."

Rumours that he would be in Cambridge to receive an honorary degree the University offered him in 1946 have built up since his return to the States last month.

Colonel Lawrence E. Bunker '26, a member of MacArthur's staff, had said then that MacArthur had been asked to attend the exercises if he were in Boston at the time.

University officials said they had no comment. They added that they had not yet heard from the general.

Boston papers yesterday claimed that MacArthur "was expected" in June. Bunker, a member of MacArthur's staff, said, however, that "previous engagements will prevent the general from showing up."

The former Far Eastern commander is scheduled to speak in Texas June 13 and 14. He will return to New York on the 21st, but his office said, he will be too "swamped with work" to accept any more speaking offers.

Had "High Priority"

There was some speculation yesterday that the University had asked the general to postpone his visit, possibly because his appearance might conflict with an already prepared speakers' list. Bunker stated some time ago that MacArthur "placed a high priority on his visit to Harvard."

Cambridge's Mayor Edward A. Crane '35 had invited the general to take part in dedicating the city's MacArthur Square, which MacArthur was also reportedly looking forward to.

Bunker added that the general will appear in Boston sometime this summer, but the date was not certain.