Council Approves Athletic Proposals

Report Passes Council Unanimously; Little Opposition Develops on Planned Program

By Michael J. Halberstam

The Student-Council last night unanimously accepted the report of its Committee on Athletics. A qualifying clause was added to the report stating that approximately 40 of the 50 students to be aided by a proposed alumni fund are not athletes.

Alan R. Trustman '52, a member of the three-man athletic committee, opened the discussion of the report with a statement that he believed that the report had not specified what is meant by "rooms for service." The report had suggested that Harvard Clubs contribute $10,000 a year to enable men who at present live in the Varsity Club, Weld Boat House, or "rooms for service" to inhabit House rooms.

Men who would not be able to attend the College it they had to live in the Houses, Trustman said, are often located by the University in near-by private homes where they received free lodgings for doing household tasks. These men, about 40, are not athletes, he continued.

In accepting the report the Council therefore voted that this explanation be penciled into all copies. Copies of the report will be sent to alumni groups.

No Opposition

No opposition developed to any of the Council committee's major suggestions. Richard L. Bushman '53 objected to the committee's proposal that examination coaching be available at first only to "freshman football players and a limited number of others." No action was taken on this.

Members of the athletic group indicated that Administration support could be gained for a unified scholarship and admissions office, and that Harvard Clubs would raise money for the $10,000 fund if given an opportunity. The Council did not discuss chances for playing freshman football games in the Stadium when the varsity was playing away or on Fridays when the varsity was home.